As in World War II, we are all called to be part of a large-scale mobilization to Direct Atmospheric Carbon Removal (DACR), while avoiding the temptations to be misled into a premature and desperate grab for “emission reductions” and doomed efforts at “climate adaptation”. We must find out what we and our organizations can do to restore our children’s future by supporting the Direct Atmospheric Carbon Removal lawsuit (22-cv-0007) now in U.S. Ninth Circuit Appeals Court. This civil action presents a last opportunity to press the United States government to upscale engineered removal of the massive overload of carbon now in the atmosphere – the only real hope remaining for future generations.
Narrow-Focused Scientists’ Warning Articles (April, 2023)
42 articles published, 1 journal special issue, 59 articles in preparation - Click to View
CLIMATE CHANGE INCREASING VOLCANIC AND EARTHQUAKE ACTIVITY
"The heat required goes far beyond anything we expect from human-induced climate change, but things like volcanic activity and changes in the sun's luminosity could lead to this level of heating," said lead author Adrian Lenardic, associate professor of Earth science at Rice University. "Our goal was to establish an upper limit of naturally generated climate variation beyond which the entire solid planet would respond."
Click here to continue
September 13, 2022
United in Science:
We are heading in the wrong direction
World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
Click Here for Press Release
July 14, 2022
"On Thursday, the WHO warned that Africa is facing a growing risk of outbreaks caused by zoonotic pathogens that originate in non-human animals and then switch species and infect humans. There has been a 63% increase in the number of zoonotic outbreaks in the region in the decade from 2012 to 2022, compared with 2001 to 2011, according to a new analysis by the United Nation's global health arm."
Climeworks raises CHF 600 million in latest equity round
Executive Summary: Komor v. United States (CV-22-00077-TUC-SHR)
OVERVIEW: KOMOR VS. UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1) Komor vs United States will prove that the government must invest in Negative Emissions Technologies (NET) in order to avoid reaching an irreversible cascade failure in our ecosystems due to global warming.
2) Komor vs. United States will prove the Defendants have claimed a sovereign duty not to harm the life, liberty or property of citizens including the Plaintiff.
3) Komor vs. United States will prove and the Defendants have had numerous and credible warnings that greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions would cause overheating of the atmosphere and thus disruption to planetary ecosystems. Plaintiff’s life, liberty and property have all been harmed by the actions and inaction of the Defendants.
4) Komor vs. United States will show that most citizens do not realize that we can achieve a high degree of sustainability and still become extinct due to the vast amount of greenhouse gas already in our atmospheric envelope.
5) These “legacy emissions” will not be cycled out for hundreds to thousands of years – far too late to avoid the 450 ppm carbon saturation deadline established in the paleogeologic record.
6) Paleogeologic records from ice core samples demonstrate that whenever the Earth has reached 450 ppm combined atmospheric carbon saturation the planet has shifted to a new normal – a transition most currently existing species do not survive.
7) NOAA is currently reporting an atmospheric carbon saturation level of 419 ppm (02/22) rising by 2 ppm yearly, reaching 450 ppm threshold in the mid-2030’s. In addition, the interaction between elements of our global ecosystem destabilized by warming is creating a non-linear acceleration in climate change.
8) Fifty years ago when the U.S. government was initially alerted to the GHG problem by its own researchers we could have shifted to sustainable energy models and the planet would have eventually (in hundreds to thousands of years) have redistributed the excess without reaching the 450 ppm “tipping level”.
9) At this late date it is no longer possible for the Earth, on her own, to clean up the extreme amount of GHG the Defendants have placed in the atmosphere. We must artificially clean up our waste from the atmosphere through judicious use of NET.
10) Fortunately, companies including ClimeWorks (Switzerland) and the Carbon Engineering (Canada) both have direct air carbon removal facilities already in successful operation. (Removing carbon already in the atmosphere is a different process from adding filters to reduce carbon emissions.)
11) Komor vs. United States is asking that the Defendants be held responsible for scaling up this existing Negative Emissions Technology carbon removal technology to meet the goal of staying below a 425 ppm minimum safe threshold of atmospheric CO2 accumulation.
12) The Plaintiff is aware this will require a “war footing” mobilization and trillions of dollars in investment to capture 10-60 GtC/yr of CO2 per year starting in 2025. The Defendants had the choice to avoid this cost, but now it cannot be avoided.
Dr. Christian R. Komor, Plaintiff
Climate - Electric Cars
From the 1880’s to the initiation of mass production of gas-powered vehicles by Henry Ford in the1910’s most all motor vehicles were powered by electricity. Rapid innovation in battery technology even allowed fleets of electric taxis in London and New York. Electric vehicles had a number of advantages over their early-1900s competitors. They did not have the vibration, smell, and noise associated with gasoline cars. They also did not require gear changes. They were also preferred because they did not require a manual effort to start, as did gasoline cars which featured a hand crank to start the engine. By 1912, many homes were wired for electricity for recharging. Also, an exchangeable battery service was put into practice by General Electric between 1910 and 1924 covering more than 6 million miles of the United States. By the turn of the century there were still twice as many electric cars as gasoline powered with a total of 33,842 electric cars registered in the United States alone.
Sales of electric cars peaked in the early 1910s with over 300 listed manufacturers. By the 1920s worldwide discoveries of large petroleum reserves led to the wide availability of affordable gasoline, making gas-powered cars cheaper to operate over the longer distances accessible by improved road systems. Mass production of gas-powered vehicles initiated by Henry Ford brought their price down. The desire for profits by manufacturers eventually drowned out technological innovation and consumer demand. Since then, the internal combustion engine has contributed significantly to greenhouse gas accumulation in the atmosphere and the extinction of increasing numbers of land, air, and aquatic species.
CLIMATE CHANGE – IRREVERSIBLE AT 450 PPM ATMOSPHERIC CARBON. SUPPORT THE US DISTRICT COURT LAWSUIT CV-01560-PAB-KLM
In case you thought we made this up notice there are NO climate lawsuits active in the United States focused on THE solution- Direct Atmosphere Carbon Removal. In fact, there ARE NO climate-related lawsuits in the US. We REALLY ARE your only hope.
POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE GLOBAL TRENDS
CLIMATE DEADLINE 2035
"It's Us or Dust"
EMISSION REDUCTIONS AND SUSTAINABILITY ARE NOT ENOUGH TO ARREST CLIMATE CHANGE BEFORE THE MID-2030’S. ONLY THE NEGATIVE EMISSIONS TECHNOLOGIES ARE POWERFUL ENOUGH - BUT WE MUST MOVE SWIFTLY AND ON A MASSIVE SCALE BEFORE WE HIT THECLIMATE DEADLINE 2035
“The suffering we are experiencing as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic is yet another manifestation of Climate Change (acting through alterations in human-animal disease vectors). Climate scientists have awaited a “Climate Pearl Harbor” which will awaken the public and politicians to the urgency and magnitude of our global warming plight….and here it is! But will we awaken and have the wisdom to direct our frustration with this deadly virus into the correct action? The path forward is an extremely narrow one and rapidly closing. We must bypass the temptation to rest in futuristic hopes of mitigation, carbon reduction and sustainability and instead mobilize the Negative Emissions Technologies (NET) of Direct Air Carbon Capture (DAC) and Solar Radiation Management (SRM) to deal first with existing legacy emissions. Only then can we be sustainable. Starting in 2025 we must capture a net 10 GtC/yr (10 billion metric tons) average CO2 per year if we hope to skirt the twin points of no return in the mid-2030’s – 450 parts per million atmospheric carbon and 310 GtC of ocean-dissolved CO2. (Inarguable geologic records demonstrate the former will trigger the Earth to shift to a new normal inconsistent with human survival. The latter will cause phytoplankton to stop producing 80% of the world’s oxygen.) Existing legacy carbon is not going away because we stop adding more – not for up to thousands of years. It must by actively removed. What can you, or your organization do to restore your children’s future-now-forfeit – use any avenues open to you - including joining the Climate Deadline Alliance (and the “Omnicide Complaint” now being reviewed by the International Criminal Court), pushing awareness of the necessity for a cooperative global effort to remove carbon from the atmosphere in your social groups, joining and advocating for NET in environmental organizations, supporting any ballot initiatives or candidates who are working for DAC/SRM, and contacting individuals with high visibility, connections, access and resources who can take action toward a global DAC/SRM effort. As in World War II everyone must be part of this effort. Do not delay, we need all hands on deck and time is short.”
- Dr. Christian R. Komor
SUMMARY OF WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
Ending greenhouse gas emissions may not stop global warming: study
by Marlowe Hood
SUSTAINABILITY WON'T SUSTAIN US! NOT YET!
The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has recently validated the underlying basis for my campaign for Arizona Governor in 2018. Unless we reduce atmospheric carbon below 350 parts per million by the mid-2030s the Earth will shift to a “new normal” and climate disruption will transition from linear to a exponential and unstoppable condition referred to as Irreversible Exponentially Synergistic Anthropotoxic Environmental Cascade (IESAEC).
Already ocean currents are slowing, methane stores are being released from disappearing polar ice, disease vectors are altering, species die off is escalating, weather patterns are altering, novel carbon releasing soil microbes are emerging, and a breach is occurring between plants and pollinators. In the 1960s making a full transition to solar, wind and recycling would have been enough to avert the “tipping levels” we will reach in the mid-2030’s at 450ppm atmospheric carbon.
Sustainability may again be relevant several decades from now. In 2019, however, it is too late for sustainability to save us and too early for sustainability to sustain us. Our only option is to remove gigatons of carbon already in the atmosphere and do so in the next 15 years. After training with Al Gore, I was fortunate to work with a group of senior scientists developing a method using EHUX algae (which formed the White Cliffs of Dover) to remove carbon from the atmosphere and oceans. Emiliania huxleyi were designed by nature to remove carbon and can naturally achieve 350ppm safely and efficiently when assisted with liquid nitrogen from carbon capture at fossil fuel burning plants and human effort. Algae Assisted Carbon Capture & Reflection is the only existing method for bringing atmospheric carbon levels down to a safe level by the mid-2030’s.
WE'VE HAD OUR "CLIMATE PEARL HARBOR" - NOW IT'S TIME FOR ACTION
As I finished my run for Arizona Governor in late 2018 on a climate change platform, once again major fires were threatening the nearby state of California. So far, the death toll as a result of a single fire in Northern California, the Camp Fire, now stands at 83, most of the victims burned alive – burned alive. According to the Butte County Sheriff's Department, 563 people remain unaccounted for. The Camp Fire has burned more than 153,000 acres and has destroyed more than 13,000 residences, as well as 514 commercial structures and more than 4,000 other buildings. Asking for help fire officials are stressing the connection between Climate Change and increasingly deadly and extensive fires. Over 137 deadly wildfires burned more than 1,830,00 acres in the Western United States during the 2017 fire season alone. Flooding along the Missouri river initiated preparations to shut down power plants, including the Cooper Nuclear Plant, forced 1,200 people to evacuate. A 30-knot wind storm, probably the first in Nepal, hit Bara and Parsa districts killing 28 and injuring over 500 people. Mozambique, Malawi, Madagascar, Zimbabwe, South Africa Tropical Cyclone Idai left entire cities demolished, close to 1,000 dead and more on the way from disease and starvation.
Farther north in neighboring Canada, early this week Valérie Théorêt and her 10-month-old daughter, Adele Roesholt, were found by her husband mauled to death by a grizzly bear – their bodies ripped apart. Wildlife experts report that bears are staying out later than usual because of warm winter conditions. Erratic climate disruption is driving the older bears to attack humans out of desperation due to hunger.
There are several important Constitutional lawsuits already in process asking the United States Government to reduce carbon emissions. These suits, even if successful, will not be sufficient to avoid the climate deadline we are facing in the mid-2030’s. In March 2019 my colleagues and I file The Climate Lawsuit - a federal suit asking the United States Government to beta-test, operationalize and manage the EHUX algae-based carbon removal program called Ocean Assisted Carbon Capture. This legal action will not be successful without a massive rise in public awareness of the immediacy and finality of the climate change danger we face - and the possibility that exists for rescuing our culture.
(1) It is important for all of us to understand climate change both on the intellectual and personal level. Intellectually the scope of climate change is massive and increasingly fills the news. It includes most elements of our planetary ecology, political and economic and agricultural forces, and many scientific disciplines. This we can read about. On a personal level we must look to our experiences – have you experienced increasingly intense or frequent fires, floods, storms, dust storms? Are you noticing less animals, birds and insects where you live? Have climate-related costs gone up – are you paying more for your water for instance? In Arizona where I live two summers ago planes were unable to take off from the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport due to intense heat. Especially for children we must find ways to build awareness that climate change is not just a far-off mathematical problem, but something very real happening to us more and more intensely and frequently.
(2) It's very important to talk with people about climate change. We no longer need to be worried about being laughed at or dismissed. Be aware that people will be reacting to climate change in different ways. Some will be in shock or denial. Some will be angry perhaps at the government or large-scale carbon polluters.
(3) Try and have a positive attitude – yes really! What we want to focus on is not how large and how serious the situation is – although those things are certainly true. The crucial thing to focus on is the very, very short time span (10-20 years) we have to master the problem. It’s like being bitten by a rabid animal. It’s not really a big problem if you get it in gear and take action get to a doctor and get vaccinated. But if you sit around wasting time your minor inconvenience is going to turn into something deadly. So global warming is really a time problem and our focus needs to be on getting moving.
(4) As individuals we can’t do much with recycling and driving hybrid cars. Those things will be great for later after we have solved the current crisis but they are actually causing a lot of people to not get moving and do what we need to do now which is push hard and fast for government and industry to mobilize. Since there is already too much carbon (and other greenhouse gasses) in the atmosphere and put in motion Ocean Assisted Carbon Capture (or some even better plan if there is one). Think about the large and rapid mobilization as the United States finally woke up to the danger or World War II. This is the situation we find ourselves in.
(5) So the kids who are walking out of schools and protesting are the ones who are most on the mark today - not the folks making sure their local restaurant is using paper straws and not plastic or riding their bikes to work. We need people blogging and posting on the Internet and getting their club or church to demonstrate in front of city hall and writing their representatives and marching at the headquarters of those companies most responsible for carbon pollution.
And then there is our Climate Lawsuit asking the United States Government to start work on a program like Algae Assisted Carbon Capture & Reflection that will remove carbon from the atmosphere.
(6) Start putting The Climate Lawsuit out there in your social circles and on social media today!
(7) Federal lawsuits are hugely expensive and The Climate Lawsuit will be no exception! Give a talk on what you have learned and collect donations for our legal fund! There is a link for making donations at www.theclimatelawsuit.com
(8) Our mission is to spread the word and to do that we need contacts. If you have contacts, please pass them on. We need students, teachers, researchers, philanthropists, investors, entrepreneurs, business people, farmers,
policymakers, engaged citizens, media representatives, celebrities, fossil fuel companies. If you have a church or civic group get us invited to talk.
(9) We need all kinds of other donations for material resources – plane flights to meet with and convince key organizations to get involved; access to a SPAR oil rig platform to perform “proof of concept” tests; funds to purchase seed and nutrients; access to marketing/advertising services.
(10) If you hear a news report (e.g. on flooding somewhere) possibly linked to climate change do some research. If it sounds like there is a legitimate link call the upstream news source and ask them to include mention of The Climate Lawsuit as part of their report. Write a story or letter to the editor yourself! If you need more facts just contact us!
(11) Talk about it! Tell your friends and colleague what you have learned here. We DO NOT have time to be shy or hold back. Imagine your living in the time of WWII – you would talk about it!
(12) Ask a friend in the motion picture industry to start running “shorts” or ads before the main feature outlining The Climate Lawsuit (we can get you all the materials your need!)
13) Promote the book “ClimateDeadline2035” which supports The Climate Lawsuit. Write a review of the book online or in print.
(14) Lobby for funding for Algae Climate Repair. Your Congressperson will ask what that is. This is on opening for you to tell them. Don’t forget the State level where most of the positive action is happening now. Remember politicians like doubt because it can be used to hide behind and not take action. We are certain about the need for and effectiveness of Ocean Assisted Carbon Capture. Politicians want re-election. Make sure they know you won’t vote for them if they do not cooperate.
(15) Join organizations like: Climate Action Council, National Wildlife Foundation, League of Conservation Voters, Natural Resources Defense Council, Environment America, Sierra Club and, or visit some organizations online. (If you are in one of these organizations press your leadership to make OACC&R a priority.
I ask you to picture this and tell me if you think it’s a crazy idea. We put a huge, and I mean 22,000 tons HUGE metal platform (let’s call it something cool and historic like a “SPAR”) way out in the Gulf of Mexico. Not in the shallow part either! We put it where the water is an average depth of say 8,000 feet! To make things more interesting let’s build the SPAR 8,200 miles away in Finland so we will have to drag it over to the Gulf of Mexico with a couple of giant barges. Then, once everything is hooked up, we make it suck 200 million cubic feet of gas and 100,000 barrels of flammable oil every single day 24/7 through a 27-mile network of pipelines on the ocean floor. Of course, that oil can explode and catch fire and devastate everything for 4 or 5 thousand square miles and 75% of that will be unrecoverable (trust me it’s happened before) so we will also put a couple of helipads on the thing so there will room for two Sikorsky S-92 escape helicopters that can carry 19 passengers each. Let’s see, with a workforce of 172 people the helicopters will have to make about ten 80 mile trips to get everyone safely to land if something goes wrong. So, what do you think is this an awesome idea or what? Let’s get started!
I’m not making fun of human ingenuity here. The point I am addressing is that somehow, for some strange reason (could there be a profit motive perhaps?) there is a myth floating around that repairing our damaged atmosphere through direct removal of carbon is not only an impossible idea, but a bad idea. So, my point is we need to have a little context when it comes to imagining atmospheric repair. Does anyone recall a discussion that went like, “Can we build and deploy giant and highly dangerous oil platforms?” Nope, there were profits to be made and corporations just did it. Now we are taking about the survival of humanity and the idea of using SPAR-type platforms to raise EHUX sea algae to remove carbon from the atmosphere sounds somehow like a crazy pipe-dream? How is that? Does that make any sense? No, of course it doesn’t. In fact, it sounds absolutely insane not to try – especially since we already have the technology and the down side is negligible. Carbon eating EHUX algae live a week tops. If something goes wrong, we just let the current crop die out and that’s the end of the project. No massive explosions, dead employees, or irreparable contamination of the ecosystem.
The truth is we have been “geoengineering” for the sake of greed alone for decades with no one questioning the wisdom of doing so – until we found out the result was going to be the extinction of our own species within this century. So the next time you even think about, or hear anyone even faintly whisper anything about active climate repair being unrealistic, or dangerous, or too expensive quash those delusions fast and hard. That’s all they are and very, very dangerous ones at that!